mmm cheeeese

Thursday 30 July 2009

Two weeks post-artisan cheesemaking course...


Wow - what a week it was. We made quark, cheshire, feta, washed rind, ricotta, mozzarella, red leicester, brie, halloumi and romano....so much cheesey goodness! Sue and Neil (and Dan and P.H) were so generous with their time, patience and wisdom. It was a pleasure to turn up each day and get stuck in to those curds and whey.

Since I got back I have made halloumi and ricotta twice, once from raw milk sourced on the way home, from Hohepa in Havelock North. I made paneer and ricotta one night when I had a halloumi curd issue...but all is never lost with cheesemaking, it just becomes something else!

Conrad and the children bought me a lovely book for my 40th last week, Making Artisan Cheese by Tim Smith. I can't wait to get into the slightly trickier cheeses like Muenster, Gruyere and White Stilton. And Caerphilly too, and oh yum Cabra al Vino (goat cheese brined in red wine).

I have even been offered a cow for milking! But that may be a little complicated....thinking about it though. Difficult and expensive to get enough non-homogenised milk without having shares in a cow for lovely fresh, raw milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment