mmm cheeeese

Sunday 5 July 2009

7 days and counting


Oh yes, only seven more days and my lovely friend Mindi and I will be arriving in sunny (fingers crossed) Putaruru for a week long adventure into the mechanics of cheesey goodness. We are doing the New Zealand Cheese School's 5 day artisan cheesemaker course and it is all very exciting!

In a couple of years I have gone from a run-of-the-mill cheese eater to an appreciator of stinky, washed rind, blue, sheep, goat....all sorts of cheesey delights. Spurred by 6 months in Europe (mmmmmmm such memories, cabecou de rocamadour, mont d'or, comte, gruyere from the Pyrenees, etc etc)and then re-entering the land of cows and milk and of course cheese, I appreciate with a whole new passion the work of the artisan cheesemaker. Now a big fan of anything Kingsmeade, surprisingly good Kapiti Ramara and Raclette, prohibitively expensive imported Comte from Ontrays in Petone (where you can also buy Jamon Iberico, btw but that's another story...), I want to know how to play with cheesemaking myself. Maybe even one day sale-able cheese. Yay.

So Mindi and I have spurned the day or evening "make a cheese" class and decided to immerse ourselves in this unique Cheese School and see what comes out the other end. Stay tuned to find out!

(pic courtesy of www.nordiccheese.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment