mmm cheeeese

Thursday 27 August 2009

And now...a cow!


Well, finding a source of fresh, unhomogenised milk has proved so tricky (in this dairy crazy economy - like being thirsty in the sea, so near yet so far!) that I am now seriously looking into getting a retired dairy-herd Jersey cross cow.

I figure if a can go shares with some other, like minded cheese and raw milk enthusiasts, it will be very cost-effective. Then I can make cheese once or twice a week and start putting some away for Christmas ripening. Exciting! And lovely healthy yoghurt for the children too. Our wonderful friends at www.beesblessing.co.nz have offered to collect and home my cow, which I think will be an excellent collaboration. Fingers crossed...Petone shop isn't off the drawing board btw, the lease etc is taking a bit longer than expected as the landlord and current tenant sort things out at their end.

1 comment:

  1. The cow sounds like a fabulous plan.. how would it work?

    ReplyDelete